Winona Health values education and encourages growth. The Phyllis A. McClenathan Nursing Scholarship is offered through the generosity of the Winona Health Foundation, the Winona Health Volunteers and our donors.
Our Scholarship Recipients
Dean McClenathan, in memory of his wife, Phyllis A. McClenathan, established an endowment within the Winona Health Foundation for the purpose of funding an annual $1,000 scholarship for a nursing student entering the last year of study.
Phyllis McClenathan, R.N., provided compassionate care in the Family Birth Center at Winona Health for twenty years before her untimely passing in January 2006. The fund is named the Phyllis A. McClenathan Nursing Scholarship to honor her commitment to high quality, compassionate patient care while providing recognition and financial assistance on an annual basis to a nursing student entering the final year of study.
- Applicants must live within a sixty (60) mile radius of Winona, Minnesota, attend a post-secondary education institution within the designated area or be a current employee of Winona Health. Priority will be given to individuals committed to working for Winona Health.
- Applicants must be enrolled in an accredited two-year or four-year registered nursing program focused on direct patient care and within one or two full semesters (or the equivalent) of graduation at the time the award is distributed. Current RN’s are not eligible for this scholarship.
- Applicants must submit an essay―not to exceed one page―stating their academic and career goals and what they have done toward achieving those goals. Their essay should comment on defining compassionate, patient-centered care, as well as articulate post-graduation plans.
- Applicants must submit official transcripts from current and all previously attended post-secondary schools and demonstrate a high likelihood of success via grades earned at these institutions.
- Applicants must submit two letters of recommendation from individuals qualified to comment on their character, compassion and skills as a nurse.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to make sure the application is complete. Only completed applications will be considered. Applications must be returned to the Winona Health Foundation Office by March 15. Postmark dates will not be considered. Essays, transcripts and letters of recommendation may be electronically attached to the application form below or delivered/mailed to:
Winona Health Foundation
855 Mankato Avenue
Winona, MN 55987